Sellers often ask me if there is a benefit to staging their home. The answer is a resounding YES! Research from the National Association of Realtors (NAR) and our “real world” local experience is indisputable: staging adds value, reduces the time on market and produces a positive ROI. Here are the 10 Reasons to Stage Your Home for selling:
1. You will make more money. A 2015 NAR survey found the majority of buyers were more likely to offer higher prices for a staged home compared to a similar home.
2. Your home will sell faster. Professionally staged homes spent 72% less time on the market, according to a survey from the Real Estate Staging Association.
3. Buyers can visualize themselves in the home. 81% of buyers it was easier to visualize the staged property as their future home.
4. Your online photos will look better. Over 95% of home buyers look online. This is where you make your first impression and where potential buyers decide whether to make an appointment. Professional staged homes stand out and generate more buyer interest.
5. Staging helps defuse other property flaws. 2015 NAR survey revealed 28% of buyers viewing a staged home overlook other property faults. The eye is naturally drawn to clean, well-appointed furnishings and away from minor imperfections.
6. Personal photos and memorability distract your buyer from viewing the home. Remember, you are trying to help a buyer see themselves living in this property, not as a guest amidst your family’s personal life story.
7. The cost of staging is less than your first price reduction. Some sellers will say “I’ll give it a try without staging and then if it doesn’t sell, I’ll stage it.” This is a huge mistake. Days on market tick on. By the time you have determined you need to stage, your best prospects have already seen your home and formed their opinion. You are looking at a price reduction just to attract new interest.
8. Sellers are not objective about their own homes. The chinoiserie fabric you selected to match the floral chintz may be your pride and joy, but the buyer may not share your design style. A professional stager will select a neutral pallet which appeals to a broad range of prospective buyers.
9. You will save time and reduce your anxiety. Selling your home can be stressful and time consuming. A professional stager will manage the process for you so that you can devote your energy into your new home.
10. Your Realtor will support you 100%. Real estate professionals know that staged homes attract higher offers and faster sales. We are delighted to help facilitate the process, make appointments for you, meet painters or handyman at your home and help you arrange an estate sale.
Janet McAfee Inc.
(Property in photograph is 9044 Clayton Road, professionally staged by Property Enhancements LLC)